Please see the message below from the Daniels Fund:
Dear Colorado Friend of the Daniels Fund,
By now you’ve likely seen the list of our newly announced class of 2017 Daniels Scholars. We’re very excited about our newest 240 Daniels Scholars, but we are already in preparations for the class of 2018 Daniels Scholars.
We are writing with some important information and reminders to share with your current juniors, to prepare them to apply for the Daniels Scholarship Program this fall:
- The Daniels Scholarship Program is for graduating high school seniors who demonstrate exceptional character, leadership, and service. We are not a merit based scholarship, but rather focus on who the applicant is as a person, not just who they are as a student.
- The application period for the 2018 Daniels Scholarship Program will be September 29, 2017 – November 30, 2017.
- As your juniors are completing the SAT this spring, keep in mind that our application now requires SAT scores of at least 920 on the new test, with a minimum of 450 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and 470 in Math. Students may still use the ACT with minimum scores of 17 in each category.
- Financial need is a component of our selection process. Students will again be required to complete the FAFSA as the first step in determining their eligibility to apply for the Daniels Scholarship Program. Students do not necessarily need to be Pell eligible, but they must demonstrate financial need.
- Our selection process entails selecting an equal number of young men and young women from designated regions within our four states, meaning that students are only competing against students of the same gender from within their region in their state. In recent years we have received over twice as many applications from females than from males. As a result, it has been more competitive for the young women in our applicant pool. We hope that you will strongly encourage your young men to apply for our scholarship.
We also want to be sure you know that we do our best to make our staff available to attend scholarship or financial aid events and can offer a presentation about the Daniels Scholarship Program. Although it is difficult for us to make it to every event across our four states as our headquarters are in Denver, CO, we do offer a recorded 21 minute Online Presentation that can be used with your students as well. This presentation provides detailed information about the application process and what we’re looking for. To request a presentation or a representative to attend your event, please contact me directly.
Finally, we continuously work to ensure our scholarship information is reaching the right people, so if there is somebody else in addition to you who should be receiving our information, please feel free to reply to this email with their contact information.
We look forward to working with you to identify the next class of Daniels Scholars!