Please see the information below from the Daniels Scholarship Organization about this upcoming year’s application process:
By now you’ve likely seen the list of our newly announced 2018 Class of Daniels Scholars. As excited as we are about these 238 new scholars, we are already in preparations for the 2019 Class of Daniels Scholars.
We are writing with important information and reminders to share with your current juniors, to prepare them to apply for the Daniels Scholarship Program in the fall:
- The Daniels Scholarship Program is for graduating high school seniors who demonstrate exceptional character, leadership, and a commitment to serving their communities. It is not an academic merit based scholarship, but rather focuses on who the applicant is as a person.
- The application period for the 2019 Class of Daniels Scholars will be October through November.
- As your juniors are completing the SAT this spring, keep in mind that our application requires SAT scores of at least 920, with a minimum of 450 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and 470 in Math. Alternately, students may still use the ACT with minimum scores of 17 in each category. Students must have their score sheet from ACT/SAT reflecting their eligible scores by the application deadline.
- Financial need is a component of our selection process. Students will again be required to complete the FAFSA as the first step in determining their eligibility to apply for the Daniels Scholarship Program. Students do not necessarily need to be Pell eligible, but they must demonstrate financial need.
- Our selection process entails selecting an equal number of young men and women from designated regions within our four states, meaning that students are only competing against students of the same gender from within their region. In recent years, we have received significantly more applications from females than from males. We hope that you will strongly encourage your young men to apply for our scholarship.
We do our best to make our staff available to attend scholarship or financial aid events and can offer presentations about the Daniels Scholarship Program. If you are interested in a presentation for your students this spring or fall, please feel free to contact me directly. Although it is difficult for us to make it to every event across our four states, we do offer a 21 minute recorded video presentation that you can show to your students as well. This presentation provides detailed information about the application process and what we’re looking for and is available here.