What: Every year Denver Online puts on a college and career readiness event called Planning for Success. The day is about helping students get motivated about their futures and help them gain tools in moving forward in whatever path they choose. While we encourage most students to pursue college, we know that isn’t every student’s path. Therefore, we start the day with a motivational speaker to simply inspire students to dream big, ferociously go after those goals, and sometimes challenge them to look at opportunities from a new perspective. The day is then followed by three rounds of break-out workshops that represent the plethora of opportunities available to students. These workshops include topics such as financial aid, internships, becoming an entrepreneur, serving abroad and locally, resume enhancement, technical and trade schools, military options, and more. The day is then concluded by a college fair and an awards ceremony where we give out two $500 scholarships along with other awards to participating students. One of the scholarships will be awarded to the student who wins the Planning for Success Scholarship Essay Competition that is submitted as an assignment in their Schooloogy Homeroom Course (*must be present at Planning for Success to win), while the other will be given to a student at random who simply participates in the full Planning for Success Event. There will also be light breakfast foods and lunch provided to all participants for free!
Who: This is a *required* event for all of our full-time students and their parents. Supplemental and part-time students/families are welcome to join in!
When: Saturday, February 9th from 8:30am-2pm. Breakfast/coffee and registration begins at 8:30am, with keynote promptly starting at 9am.
Where: North High School-2960 Speer Blvd, Denver, CO 80211 (NOTE: This is a new location this year!)
RSVP: Please rsvp at the following link by Feb. 4th: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YZZQSBR
Spanish Speaking Families: We will have Spanish interpreters for families to work with throughout the entire day. We will also have the day’s schedule and as many other materials in Spanish as possible.
Transportation: Should you not have a ride to make it to the event, please email Casey_Burton@dpsk12.org to get a bus pass in order to go.
What to Bring: Since there will be a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), if you plan to attend that specific workshop, you MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS in order to effectively fill out the FAFSA:
- Social Security Number (parents, if applicable AND student) OR student’s alien registration or permanent resident card (if student is not a US Citizen)
- Birthdates: month/day/YEAR (parent and student)
- Driver’s license or Colorado ID card (parent AND student)
- 2017 W-2 Forms and other records of money earned in 2017 (parent AND student, if applicable)
- 2017 Federal Income Tax Return (If applicable; if you have not filed taxes yet, bring 2016 tax forms)
- 2017 untaxed income records (if applicable)
- Social Security benefits statement
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Veterans benefits records
- Food Stamp information (also known as SNAP benefits)
- Most recent checking and savings account statement
- Most recent business and investment mortgage (not the home in which you and your family live) information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment statements
- Parent’s date of Marriage/Separation/Divorce (month and year)