The Coronavirus Pandemic turned everyone’s world upside down, including the world of education! Lucky for Denver Online, we have years of experience in online and blended learning education. This is where we THRIVE!
While we sure would like the pandemic to be a thing of the past, we are excited to have the opportunity to prove to you that online and blended learning can be done really well and that this learning environment is able to serve a plethora of unique student needs. While we have been operating our high school since 2003, we are launching a new middle school program this fall 2021! Much of the information on the website is currently more specific to our high school program, but we will be adding more specific middle school information to the website over the next couple of months. We promise though that the middle school program will be created with intentionality and care to best support the unique needs of our amazing middle schoolers and their families!
High School Online Courses
- Each course has weekly folders. These folders allow students to easily stay on track in courses by completing their weekly folder of assignments each week.
- There is no canned curriculum and each course has been developed by our teachers and can be modified to meet each student’s particular needs.
- High school students can work at their own pace and on their own time.
High School Live Sessions
- Virtual Morning Mentor Meetings are held on a daily basis at 10:00 a.m. These sessions are a required part of attendance and cover topics such as executive functioning, ICAP (individual career and academic planning) and social-emotional well being.
- Each day, following the morning meetings, students are able to engage in Live Learning Sessions. Students get credit for attending these sessions in their online courses. Students engage in approximately one live class each day, based on their course schedule. These virtual sessions provide students with weekly overviews, collaborative activities, direct instruction, and an opportunity to complete assignments in their online courses.
- Students have access to their teachers during Virtual Office Hours that are scheduled between 2:00-3:00 p.m. each day. This is an opportunity to drop-in and connect with teachers and ask questions as often as needed.
- Teachers offer individual and small-group Targeted Tutoring Sessions to students who request them or if a teacher identifies areas in which he/she sees the student struggling.
High School Attendance
There a few ways students can earn full attendance points for the week. First, attendance is taken on a daily basis during the Morning Mentor Meeting. Students who are present for that meeting and complete assignments in their Schoology courses have demonstrated that they have attended school on that day. Second, a student can earn full attendance points for the week by simply maintaining a “C” or higher in all of their courses. This enables students to earn full attendance points even if they are unable to log in to school each day.
- Teacher Support: While we are able to safely support our student and their families from a distance through online learning, some students may prefer to work in-person at our physical location at some points with our teachers. Individual and small-group tutoring session will be available throughout the year through a sign-up schedule.
- Field Trips: For the 21-22 school year, we will provide monthly free field trips as health protocols allow. Many field trips offer academic credit as well for participation!
- School Events: As health protocols allow, we will host multiple school events throughout the year! These include everything from our Back to School BBQ, to our annual college and career readiness conference, to our prom!